Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Goodness, I am getting bad at posting.

Things have got a bit hectic here in Cairo largely because we are running up to number 2 child's birthday and it seems to take a long time to organise even the simplest celebration.  The Arabic lesson had to be moved - again - and presents bought.  A cake has been sourced for purchase and number 1 child has made up a wonderful treasure hunt to find a final present.  He did it off his own bat, and spent hours on it, and it made me swell with happiness to see the pleasure he was taking in doing something for his sibling.

Work continues to be surreal and full of scraping.  But small things are being done, and each time we do a job, although we will probably have to do it again, I put a mental tick in my head for a task completed.  While it achieves nothing practical, it makes me feel as though I am moving forward and contributing, which in my year of living positively, can only be good.  As it is nearly the end of the month, my first wage packet will arrive soon, and that fills me with a wonderful sense of anticipation.  I paid myself when I ran the shop, and when I worked in London, it arrived cleanly into the bank account.  It was only working working in a wine bar in London while I was a student that I got a wage packet, and the joy and possibility that little brown envelope brought comes back to me now.  I wonder if people were still paid that way, there would be less debt in the western world.  Holding your resources for the month gives a great sense of power and responsibility.

But to get to the subject of my post, all of this activity, a couple of weeks ago would have sent me into a melting puddle of perspiration.  Up until yesterday, the weather remained hot, even for Cairo, and each day a good five minutes was spent discussing when the season would turn.

But today, I woke up and went onto the terrace and yes, I almost needed to get a cardigan.  A light one but a cardigan, nevertheless.  For a few minutes I felt truly sad not to be England now that Autumn is in full swing.  It has always been my favourite season, far outweighing Summer.  For some strange reason, the chill of a bright Autumn day with soft light falling through trees which seem to be on fire, makes me feel very alive and vital.

But this year I will miss it and it made me feel very melancholic.  But then I focused on the change here and although it is more subtle it too holds real beauty.

So here are my five positive things about the turn of the season in Cairo:


  1. For the first time since we arrived we slept without the aircon, the quiet was fabulous
  2. As it cools down I feel like a cat unfurling from a long sleep in the sun, awake and ready to explore
  3. Walking in the cool of the streets allows you to stop a really look, no longer desperate to get in and out of the heat
  4. The idea of physical exertion become pleasurable rather than a drain
  5. The slippers can come out of hibernation
Persephone in Cairo

2 comments:

  1. Oh I can almost feel the relief in this latest post. I too am not a fan of the relentless heat and a wonderful trip to Rhodes was almost totally ruined for me by the relentless 35 degree heart whilst my partner seemed utterly undaunted by it. It was a very good post full of celebration for cooler times and long may it last! Of course children't birthdays do take a lot of planning and thought and it is lovely to know you are going to get a lovely cake for the day! I do love checking in and seeing if you have had a chance to do a post and I have to admit am quite addicted to my little window into Cairo life! Enjoy the cool and the celebrations Persephone and family x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids' birthdays are exhausting, aren't they. After the last, which included McDonalds, fish and chips and chocolate smartie cake, I felt like I was going to vom.

    We had one of those lovely classic autunm days today, with a clear crisp evening playing footy in the garden.

    Much love old friend,

    ReplyDelete