Wednesday, November 3, 2010

So how does it get to be a new month and I have not posted.  In part I have been busy, getting the kids to school - have I mentioned how early they have to leave - then me to work, back from work, washing, shopping and occasional cooking.  It all runs into itself so that days can go buy in happy activity.

Thinking about it, the lack of a post is in some ways a sign of positive things.  Looking back at my life I have always been my most happy when most occupied.  When I was in London and meant to be working on my PHd but in fact working three jobs, it felt wonderful.  When I was first working in Marketing, putting in  hours that would probably kill me now, on the whole I was happy.  The tiredness at the end of a day, the drinks out on a Friday evening, felt good.  Of course if you were with me then, I probably complained quite a bit because I didn't realise how right it felt, but that I suppose is the benefit of hindsight.

On the other hand, the time I lost my way most, was when I wasn't working at anything outside the home, and the structure that holds me together was taken away.  I simply find it easier to have a routine imposed and then I can blossom, get more done, think and achieve.  Maybe I should blame going away to school where everything, from getting up in the morning to going to bed at time was regulated by bells.

All of this is a prelude to saying that no blog about being positive may mean I that I don't need it so much at the moment.  True I am at that happy moment of the hormonal rollercoaster when I really feel great.  If I put my mind to it, I can be witty and bright and even fairly attractive in the right lighting.  But also I do feel I have rather given myself up to life here.  On the principle that if you can't beat them join them, that is what I am trying to do.  Child 2 is soon to go away on a school trip which she is very excited about.  Its an opportunity she would never had had at home so I embrace it, despite the worries about getting there and so on.   Child 1 is in the squad for the football team, a thing he would never have had the confidence to do because of bullying at home, again, I embrace the change in him.

In the gap since my last post I have started learning two new things, Arabic and golf.  One is essential and the other is in order to spend time with my husband in doing something he loves.  Both things felt good.  The experience of beginning makes me feel younger, healthier and more alive.  I have to acknowledge that my ages will slow the learning process up but my brain actually feels happier for it, like is saying thanking by dancing to a new tune.

So with this in mind here is ..

Five Positive Things About Learning Something New 

  • You can feel you brain wake up and stretch its muscles after a long sleep
  • Suddenly its like opening the door to other new things which you didn't even know were there
  • You lay yourself open to making mistakes, which is a good reminder that life is all about making them and learning from them
  • Learning a new skill is like being young again, when everything was possible
  • Who knows, maybe the new skill will lead in ways you can not even dream of in the future.

Persephone in Cairo

1 comment:

  1. On Wednesday after a gruelling long day with no breaks, I had a three hour training course which I was not too clear was about. My boss has said some people were coming in and I assumed that they were teaching us, actually it was my boss who was teaching me and my colleagues and three other people how to use the design software at work. I learnt so much in that three hours because she has gently been nudging me along this last year. It was amazing and I realised though I will never naturally design from scratch on the computer and I will always be at a level basic as it is a realm that develops so fast, I realised I had learnt a whole bunch of new skills almost without realising it. We got set homework and unbelievably I got home, had some dinner and started my homework almost immediately. Learning a new skill is amazing because it reminds you that you still can! There are just so many things out there to dip into and the very next day I had to go through some answers with some people on a paper and I started to explain them in much more detail and clarify the points made and I was astonished at how much I know (how velvet is made for one!) all stored away in my brain, just waiting to pass on to someone else learning new skills. Knowledge is an amazing inspiring thing, constantly inspiring, stimulating and exciting. Thank you for reminding me how cool learning is.

    ReplyDelete