Monday, October 18, 2010

The Big Dipper

Its now Monday and I am sitting outside on the roof terrace of the flat.  The weather is still warm and the lights and noise of Cairo are all around.

I realise that the two days have gone by without my writing a blog.  Saturday was just a very tiring day, a whistle stop trip across town to the biggest shopping mall in Cairo to buy clothes and a router, and then a party for child 2, the first she has been to in Cairo.  By the time homework and preparation for school was done, so was I.  Sunday, meant work, and signs of movement with the arrival of reinforcements from the parent company.

However, the true reason for the blog gap was the arrival of the hormonal downer which is starting to make its presence known.

From the time I was 11 I have lived on a hormonal rollercoaster which takes me up to sensations of near joy and down to a pit of sadness.  I know  that many believe the hormonal argument is just an excuse to be moody, and as a very moody person, there may be something in that.  But the fact that quite unexpectedly the rollercoaster went away when I was pregnant proves it plays a major part in my changing feelings.  My husband swears he knew I was pregnant with my first child because the expected monthly fall off the edge of the pit simply didn't arrive.

I say this just to introduce the fact that it is precisely in the next few days that I should be writing the blog most assiduously because it is when I most need it.  I am hoping that I can use my five positive thoughts to get me through the dip or at least smooth it out a bit.

I am therefore putting down in writing my five positive thoughts to get me through these days so that in my hour of need I have them ready to fight the demon:

Five Positive Things to think when on the hormonal rollercoaster:

  1. This too will pass and in a few days I will be in the sunny uplands of happy thought
  2. My friends and family love me wherever I am on the rollercoaster
  3. Its the perfect excuse to eat chocolate which they say is packed with happy hormones
  4. When feeling really overwhelmed with all that there is to do, start one job, finish, and move on to the next - positive activity can pull you out of the trough
  5. Make a pact with myself that just today I am not going to let the sad feeling creep in but not be too harsh on myself if I fail, because tomorrow I will try again.
Persephone in Cairo

1 comment:

  1. As I read your post for today I am too not feeling too great but not for the same reason, I am just overtired but it did make me think you are right, we need these positive jolts when we need them most, not when all is bubbling along well.
    My 5 of today
    I am home
    I did not shout at anyone today even though I wanted to
    I stumbled upon the most amazing heavenly storage product that has my name written all over it
    My lipstick matched my fire engine red trousers perfectly
    I have a hot water bottle inside my dressing gown
    Keep it up Persephone, this too shall pass x

    ReplyDelete