Sunday, October 10, 2010

OK, so its morning two and I am on the point of getting ready for work.

I haven't done paid work for nearly four years and before that I worked for myself, so despite lots of attempts at feeling positive, the nerves have begun.  I feel slightly sick - there is so much to deal with, not knowing what the job really entails, dealing with my lack of Arabic which makes me feel out of the loop, and occasionally having to come to terms with making unintentional cultural faux pas.

But this is my year of living positively blog so how to turn this one around.

The nerves may be good,  they will keep me on my toes and get me through on the joy of doing something new and meeting new challenges.  What is more, my colleagues have been patient, kind and tolerant.  They have taken time out to teach me their language and the possibility of mastering it is very exciting.  I have always assumed that I was useless at languages, ask my A Level French teacher, but maybe this time, when I really have to, I will prove her and myself wrong.

Five Positive Things before Work

  1. the kitten managed not to destroy anything over night
  2. I woke to see a glorious sun shining over the distant hills of Cairo
  3. the wonderful babysitter of last week has left me with freshly ironed clothes
  4. my husband is coming home tonight after a trip away
  5. I have a friend who took the time to describe just how wonderful the first apples of autumn taste when they are new and crisp and juicy


Persephone in Cairo

2 comments:

  1. They WERE very crunchy apples. Just as well, as we were stuck on the wrong side of the Strood, waiting for the tide to get down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be addictive, my daily fix! I love the sunrise over Cairo morning start you had, a huge contrast to my dank and misty morning wobbling bleary eyed on the riverwalk with the dog prior to football match!
    Now the sun is finally out here we are trying a new walk this afternoon. Love your work Persephone. By the way used the rest of the apples fried in pork chop juices with a bit of onion and soy sauce as a side dish, wasted on the kids but deelish. Looking forward to tomorrows thoughts.

    ReplyDelete