Monday, November 29, 2010

Why its important to get off your bum even if you don't feel like it ..

Isn't it strange, that even when you know something is good for you, that it will make you feel better, it is sometimes very hard to do it.

Hades is away at the moment on a business trip.  That leaves me with the children in Cairo.  The weeks are fine, if tiring, because the routine keeps us going.  But on Friday and Saturday you wake up and realise that a day stretches before you and you don't have any friends to visit, or free Museums to fall into, or surrogate dogs to walk, or anything really to do.  Of course there are things to do, but finding something that will entertain both a hormonal boy and a pre-teen girl, can be a challenge.

So Friday, we just about got through in one piece.  Things got done, some Christmas cards were made and school uniform for the "Winter" was bought.  Saturday came and I felt very sorry for myself.  I lay in bed with a cup of coffee thinking I should be doing interesting challenging intellectual things with the kids rather than let them watch crap American teen telly or play on the computer.

And now I get to the core of the matter.  At around 9.30 I realised that I had to do something to turn the day around.  My instinct was to crumble back under the duvet and ignore the day but I knew that this would be A BAD THING TO DO.  So I got up and got the kids on the bus for the new University Campus, having thrown swimming things in a bag.

We got there and found the pool, only to find that it was a women's only hour.  Even that was fine, teenage son went off to explore in the nice safe campus confines and daughter and I went for a swim.  For a blissful 45 minutes we had an olympic size swimming pool in the warm sunshine all to ourselves.  It was blissful and relaxing and felt like the sort of spot-light memory which remains clear and perfect despite years passing by.

The son returned having obviously eaten unsuitable things looking very pleased with himself.  We all then went to explore the campus sports facilities and finished off with a huge Subway sandwich.  We even made the bus and got back in lots of time for relaxed homework and a film.

The real point of this story in my positive life, is to remind myself how a day can hinge on one moment of decisiveness, of deciding to get of my bum and just do something, anything really, rather than nothing at all.  In a small sort of way, I felt that we had had an adventure.  Not having Hades with me meant I had to handle it all and although it was a small achievement, when we arrived back feeling good, I felt good too.

So here are five positive things about getting off your bum and doing something .....


  1. Your pull the day out of its rut and make a new sort of day that you have never lived before.
  2. It opens the door to wonderful experiences that are more joyful for being unexpected
  3. Maybe just for that day your kids see you as a more rounded person who can do unexpected things like stand on their hands in the swimming pool or cover a length in front call in a really quite rapid time
  4. You can go to bed in the evening thinking, I did that, I made that day.
  5. And when you are tempted to sit on the couch again, doing nothing, you have a vivid memory to pull you up and out into a fresh new day.

2 comments:

  1. Good to have you back blogging, Persephone! It is very easy to just slob, so well done for getting up and out there! Will look forward to seeing swimming stunts in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, I have missed your posts, I had given up looking for a while because I hated the dissapointment of there not being one, this is not said to nag you but actually is a way of saying how enjoyable your posts are! Really I love them and they always spark off ideas in me once I have read them. I am cursed with the kind of busy brain which is always needing to do something and today following a comment from one of my children about how I did get days off, I got 2 a year mother's day and my birthday and I just stared at him thinking how sad is that! So for some weird and wonderful reason I ended up in the house on my own for one and a half hours and instead of doing one of my million projects/tasks/jobs I slowed down and did nothing for at least 20 minutes!!!!!!

    Normally it feels like every moment of my day is timetabled to the minute and I crumple at the end of each day so here are my five positives about doing nothing for a bit.

    1 Doing nothing allows you to listen and realise how quiet a house is with no one in it but that it has a lovely gentle hum of it's own, and that is something you never notice in the daily hubbub.

    2 Lying down and just idly looking at your surroundings whilst you wait for your nail varnish to dry reminds you of all the back stories behind the nik naks you have around you, the colour of your walls, the pictures on display, all the things you see every day and ignore.

    3. Somehow doing nothing reconnects you with yourself

    4. Having a tiny pocket of calm has a long lasting effect on the rest of your day.

    5. Grabbing the unexpected chance to relax makes me realise it is not so hard to build it in more often which can only be a good thing in the long run.

    So strangely your post has provoked me to give the other side of the coin but I did like yours too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete